This village of the Campiña dedicated to olive production has been described in the limpid verses of the local poet Mario López: / The Parish Church. / Los convents. / The castle. / The two towers. / The arch. / The Town Hall. / The plaza. / The sky. / The casino [stately home]. / The farmworkers. / The weather. / The unirrigated lands. / The bad year. / The clouds. / The open furrow…
A Roman road, which was in use until the 13th century, passed through this area, prompting the caliph Abd ar-Rahman III to construct a fortress to keep a watch on the points of entry into Córdoba.
This castle was named Bury al-Hansh [Tower of the Serpent], which is the origin of the name Bujalance. Following Christian conquest, the locality, as a property of the Crown, was assigned to the Council of Córdoba.
In 1594 Bujalance bought its independence from Córdoba, and in 1630 acquired the status of town.
Add to planner
Bujalance Tourist Office:
Plaza Mayor, 1
Teléfono: +34 957 171 289