The white-washed village of Zuheros lies at the foot of rough, ashen, rocky ravines.
From the viewpoint, the village appears as a disordered stack of dice, formed by houses with ochre rooftops and darkened windows that appear like sleepy, half-closed eyes.
In the background, the time-worn towers of the castle-palace watch over the triangular form of the urban centre, providing a panoramic view of the greyish green sea of olive groves.
Zuheros appears to have arisen at the end of the 9th century, when Banu Himsi soldiers erected a castle on inexpugnable rocks [sujaira] and settled in the area.
The locality originally belonged to the cora [territorial division] of Elvira (Granada), and was fortified at the end of the 12th century.
In approximately 1240, the area was conquered by Ferdinand III, who appointed a lord over the castle in order to strengthen the defences along the border with the Nasrid kingdom of Granada.
Having changed hands on various occasions, Alfonso X ceded Zuheros to his son, Prince John; however, as the result of a broken agreement, Sancho IV conquered the locality in 1293 and placed it under the jurisdiction of the Council of Córdoba, and the Zuheros remained under this authority.
Add to planner
You may be interested