El Carpio appears as a gently-rising white-washed pyramid, dominated by the original tower erected by Garci Méndez, which is reflected in the tranquil waters of a wide and lazy section of the Guadalquivir.
The radial streets climb the hill until they reach the flat ground of the Plaza de la Constitución, a bright area with an irregular form, overlooked by the castle, the parish church and the Town Hall.
El Carpio arose in the first half of the 14th century next to the tower that was built at the behest of Garci Méndez de Sotomayor, a descendent of the conquerors of this area, who installed the inhabitants of the nearby Fortress of Alcocer in the new village.
In 1472, the Méndez de Sotomayor established links with the House of Haro, whereby El Carpio became one of the most important estates in Córdoba in the Modern era.
In 1549, the village achieved the status of a Marquessate and held jurisdiction over the Siete Villas de los Pedroches [seven villages of los Pedroches] between 1660 and 1747.
In 1688, the House of Haro and the House of Alba united.
Near El Carpio
Add to planner
El Carpio Tourist and Information Office:
C/ Castillo, 1
Teléfono: +34 957 180 565