A village of straight streets within an elongated form, Montalbán, the “white mount”, is set aloft a pale hill.
Many streets have recovered their traditional names, such as calle Ancha, calle Empedrada, calle Nueva, calle Agua, calle Amargura, calle Molino or calle Eras, whilst others bear the names of distinguished figures who were born in the locality, such as the sculptor Enrique Moreno or the politician and pedagogue Eloy Vaquero.
The cupola of the chapel, the Ermita del Calvario, rises above the rooftops, with glazed tiles that shine under a bright sun.
The present-day village of Montalbán marks the site of a medieval castle, of which no vestiges remain, and the village grew around this fortress.
These lands, conquered by Ferdinand III in 1240, formed a part of the estate of Aguilar and therefore shared its history.
Established as entailed estate in 1491, Montalbán was later sold to the Alcaide de los Donceles, who, at the beginning of the 16th century ceded the right to purchase to the Lord of Aguilar and Marquess of Priego, Pedro Fernández de Córdoba.
Add to planner