Set within a meander traced by the Guadalquivir to the northwest of this small municipality, Pedro Abad is a village of religious contrasts: the village arose around the chapel constructed to house the image of Christ brought by Pedro de Meneses, to which various miracles are attributed, and in modern times has bequeathed a saint in the form of Rafaela María; however, notwithstanding these Christian features, the Ahmadiyya Community has erected a mosque in the outskirts.
Thus, the village is a symbol of tolerance.
Pedro Abad dates back to the first half of the 13th century, when, having conquered this area, Ferdinand III, set up a camp, which later was converted into a hospital.
The Galician abbot Pedro de Meneses came to the hospital bearing an image of Christ, to which various miracles were attributed, and a chapel was built in honour of this image.
This chapel represents the origin of the village.
In the late Middle Ages, Pedro Abad was a Crown property under the jurisdiction of the Council of Córdoba.
In 1564, as a result of its sale to Luis Méndez de Haro, the locality became part of the Marquessate of El Carpio.
Archaeological finds have demonstrated that the country estate of Alcurrucén marks the site of the Roman town of Sacili Martialium.
Near Pedro Abad
Add to planner