The Jesuits prepared these lands, which were settled by German colonists whose ethnic characteristics and surnames (which have been hispanicised over time) remain prevalent in the village.
The layout of the village is in keeping with the rationalist precepts of the Enlightenment, with straight streets organised into squares that centre on the spacious Plaza del Fuero.
In 1585, Jesuits from the cordovan College of Santa Catalina acquired land within the municipal area of La Rambla, known as “Ballesteros and Gregorio”, which was converted into an estate under their control in 1615, receiving the new toponym of San Sebastian de los Ballesteros.
As a result of the suppression of the Jesuits in 1767, these lands were recovered by the Crown, and the following year were used as the site of one of the Nuevas Poblaciones [new towns and villages] founded by Charles III in the barren lands known as La Parrilla.
The village was subsequently populated by settlers who were predominantly from Germany.
Near San Sebastián de los Ballesteros
Add to planner