The chapel of the Virgen de Guía is the religious heart of the region, and the image is shared by five different villages, to which the effigy is transported and from which it is subsequently returned on stipulated dates.
The village is characterised by a lack of vertical structures, with the exception of the belfry of San Mateo, favoured by storks as a nesting-site.
Villanueva del Duque arose at the end of the 15th century within the Countship of Belalcázar, and incorporated the inhabitants of the neighbouring hamlet of El Allozo.
Originally known as Villanueva del Marqués, the village adopted its present name in 1518 when it became part of the Countship of Belalcázar, which in turn formed a part of the Dukedom of Béjar.
Near Villanueva del Duque
Add to planner