Palma overlooks the neighbouring province of Seville, which is evident in the accent of the inhabitants and the town’s architectural characteristics, which include a predominance of brick, tiling and the use of ochre.
Filled with sweet smell of orange blossoms, Palma, the most important agricultural town in the fertile Vega and the birthplace of many bullfighters, lies in a privileged geographical position between the Genil and the Guadalquivir, Andalusia's two major rivers.
Available historical evidence does not confirm that the town was founded by Aulio Cornelio Palma in the 2nd century; however, recent archaeological research has revealed the existence of the Roman town of Segida Augurina on the country estate now known as La Saetilla.
According to M. Nieto, in the year 855, San Eulogio de Córdoba was the first person make reference to Palma (known as Balma to the Moors), a name that seems to be derived from the abundance of palmettos in the area.
Ferdinand III conquered the town via pact in 1241, whereby the locality came under the control of the Council of Córdoba. One year later, Alfonso XI ceded the town to his admiral, Edigio Bocanegra.
In 1507, Luis Portocarrero, the 8th lord of the town, received the title of Count of Palma, a title that would later be linked to the House of Alba.
Near Palma del Río
Add to planner