The whitewashed walls of the hamlet of Almodóvar surround its splendid castle, which, perched on a rocky ledge, affords an unparalleled panoramic view of the Valle del Guadalquivir [Guadalquivir Valley].
The battlements of the castle were restored at the beginning of the century and the edifice is the main feature of many winding or steeply inclined streets, such as calle Morería, calle Miradores and calle Caridad, rising like a silent stone sentinel above the rooftops.
In antiquity, the village marked the site of an oppidum, or fortified settlement, usually identified as Carbula, which was cited by Pliny The Moors erected a castle and named the settlement al-Mudawwar, or “the round place”, in reference to the form of the hill, thereby establishing the origin of the present name of the locality.
The village was conquered by Ferdinand III in 1240 via an agreement, and fell under the jurisdiction of the Council of Córdoba.
In 1434, John II appointed Pedro Fernández de Córdoba the custodian of the castle, and in 1629, Phillip II sold the jurisdiction, domain and mayoralty of the village to Francisco del Corral.
Near Almodóvar del Río
Add to planner
You may be interested