Surrounded by hills bearing olive trees, the white-washed walls of the modest hamlet of Fuente Tójar [from tojo, a wild thorny bush] extend along the small valley.
This peaceful hamlet appears to remain within the Iberian/Roman era, and the splendour of these ancient civilisations has been unearthed via archaeological digs on the Cerro de las Cabezas.
Initially a dependency of Priego, with ecclesiastic links with Alcalá la Real, Fuente Tójar achieved independence as a municipality by order of Isabella II, in 1844.
During the period of Moorish occupation, Fuente Tójar was no more than a farmstead.
Near Fuente Tójar
Add to planner