The patron of Fernán Nuñez is a representation of Our Lady with Galician origins, Santa Marina de Aguas Santas, who, set aloft a triumphal column, watches over the Paseo, bequeathing her name to the parish church.
However, if Santa Marina represents the spiritual focal point, active during the Enlightenment, the architects of the modern town were the Gutiérrez de los Ríos, Counts and subsequently Dukes of Fernán Núñez, whose main legacy takes the form of a beautiful neo-classical palace, one of the most important civil edifications in the province.
The current village of Fernán Núñez arose in the second half of the 14th century, when, for reasons of security, Diego Gutiérrez de los Ríos, who had received this territory as a dowry when he married Inés Alfonso de Montemayor, relocated the inhabitants of Aben Cáliz to an area close to a Moorish tower, which had been renamed Fernán Núñez subsequent to Christian conquest in 1240.
Fernán Núñez remained within the estate of the Gutiérrez de los Ríos: in 1639, Phillip IV conferred the title of Count on Alonso Estacio Gutiérrez de los Ríos; in 1662, Francisco de Ríos implemented a social policy in the village that benefited the inhabitants, and which was subsequently continued by his grandson, Carlos José Gutiérrez de los Ríos; and, in 1815, Ferdinand VII conferred the title of Duke on Carlos Gutiérrez de los Ríos, son of Carlos José and last title-holder of the estate.
Near Fernán Núñez
Add to planner