The railings of the Gardens of Moratella line the roadside, crowned with bronze boars that remind visitors that they are entering a municipality that is famous for its game preserves, wherein the royalty and aristocrats satisfied their love of hunting.
Seemingly far removed from such noble lineages, the white-washed walls of the village extend along side the Bembézar diversion damn, which reflects the ruins of the old Moorish castle.
Hornachuelos dates back to the period of Moorish occupation and in the 12th century it was a fortified town known as Furnayulus.
In 1240, the territory was conquered by Ferdinand III, and a few years later the area came under the control of the Council of Córdoba.
Following several changes of title-holder, in 1637, Hornachuelos came under the control and formed part of the estate of Lope de Hoces, subsequently becoming a countship under his successor, Alonso Antonio de Hoces.
Add to planner
Hornachuelos Tourist Office:
Ctra. San Calixto, s/n
Teléfono: +34 957 640 786